This work reports high-quality isothermal vapor–liquid equilibrium data for ethane + ethanethiol (or ethyl mercaptan) at 303 K, 323 K and 343 K and pressures up to 6.25 MPa. A sapphire-tube equilibrium cell with an online micro sampler and GC-TCD are employed to measure equilibrium phase concentrations at specific temperatures and pressures. Peng Robinson equation of state with classical alpha function is found adequate for data treatment and thermodynamic modelling.
1. W. Afzal, Phase Equilibria of Glycol-Natural Gas Systems. Ph.D. Dissertation, Ecole des Mines de Paris (2009).Search in Google Scholar
2. W. Afzal, M.P. Breil, I. Tsivintzelis, A.H. Mohammadi, G.M. Kontogeorgis, and D. Richon, Experimental study and phase equilibrium modeling of systems containing acid gas and glycol. Fluid Phase Equilibr.318, 40–50 (2012).Search in Google Scholar
3. W. Afzal and J.M. Prausnitz, Four methods for measuring the solubilities of gases and vapors in liquids and polymers. Вестник Санкт-Петербургского университета. Серия 4. Физика. Химия 1; the manuscript is published in English (2013).Search in Google Scholar
4. W. Afzal, A.H. Mohammadi, and D. Richon, Solubility study of certain sulfur species in glycol aqueous solutions (GPA 992-3): experimental vapor-liquid equilibrium data for (COS/H2S/MEG/H2O) and (COS/H2S/TEG/H2O) systems. Gas Processors Association Research Report 204, Tulsa, OK (2008).Search in Google Scholar
5. W. Afzal, M.P. Breil, P. Théveneau, A.H. Mohammadi, G.M. Kontogeorgis, and D. Richon, Phase equilibria of mixtures containing glycol and n-alkane: experimental study of infinite dilution activity coefficients and modeling using the cubic-plus-association equation of state. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 48(24), 11202–11210 (2009).10.1021/ie900856qSearch in Google Scholar
6. J.A. Awan, K. Thomsen, C. Coquelet, P.L. Fosbøl, and D. Richon, Vapor− liquid equilibrium measurements and modeling of the propyl mercaptan+ methane+ water system. J. Chem. Eng. Data.55(2), 842–846 (2009).10.1021/je900441fSearch in Google Scholar
7. A.G. Perez, A. Valtz, C. Coquelet, P. Paricaud, and A. Chapoy, Experimental and modelling study of the densities of the hydrogen sulphide+ methane mixtures at 253, 273 and 293 K and pressures up to 30 MPa. Fluid Phase Equilibr. 427, 371–383 (2016).Search in Google Scholar
8. J.A. Awan, I. Tsivintzelis, M.P. Breil, C. Coquelet, D. Richon, and G.M. Kontogeorgis, Phase equilibria of mixtures containing Organic Sulfur Species (OSS) and water/hydro-carbons: VLE measurements and modeling using the cubic-plus-association equation of state. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 49(24), 12718–12725 (2010).Search in Google Scholar
9. C. Coquelet, S. Laurens, and D. Richon, Measurement through a Gas Stripping Technique of Henry’s Law Constants and Infinite Dilution Activity Coefficients of Propyl Mercaptan, Butyl Mercaptan, and Dimethyl Sulfide in Methyldiethanolamine (1)+ Water (2) with w 1= 0.25 and 0.35. J. Chem. Eng. Data.53(11), 2540–2543 (2008).10.1021/je800349pSearch in Google Scholar
10. R.M. Zin, C. Coquelet, A. Valtz, M.I. Abdul Mutalib, and K.M. Sabil, Measurement of Henry’s Law constant and infinite dilution activity coefficient of isopropyl mercaptan and isobutyl mercaptan in (methyldiethanolamine (1)+ water (2)) with w 1= 0.25 and 0.50 at temperature of (298 to 348) K using inert gas stripping method. J. Chem. Thermodyn. 93, 193–199 (2016).Search in Google Scholar
14. O. Baudouin, S. Dechelotte, P. Guittard, and A.Vacher, Simulis Thermodynamics: an open framework for users and developers. Proceedings of 23rd European Symposium on Applied Thermodynamics, Cannes, France (2008).Search in Google Scholar
15. R.L. Scott and P.H. van Konynenburg, Static properties of solutions. Van der Waals and related models for hydrocarbon mixtures. Discuss. Faraday Soc. 49, 87–97 (1970).Search in Google Scholar
© 2018 Waheed Afzal et al., published by Sciendo
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 3.0 License.