Philipp Hofeneder, Burkhard Wöller
December 14, 2012
This article examines a 24-volume series of translated historical works published between 1886 and 1904 in Ternopil and Lviv situated in the Habsburg crownland of Galicia. Being initiated by a little group of both Ruthenian populists in Galicia and Ukrainian intellectuals from the Russian Empire, quite different historical monographs were translated into the Ukrainian language. The biblioteka included interlingual translations from Polish and Russian as well as intralingual translations between different varieties of Ukrainian. Not only the selection, composition and recontextualization, but also the adaption of the translations finally created a new historical master narrative.