- Why publish with De Gruyter?
- toggleInformation for Authors
- toggleFor Societies
- De Gruyter Open Books
- De Gruyter Open Journals
- toggleDe Gruyter Open Book Announcements
- toggleDe Gruyter Open Article Highlights
- toggleDe Gruyter Open Topical Issues
- Open Medicine: Topical Issue on Ophthalmology
- Open Medicine: Topical Issue on Thoracic Oncology
- Open Physics: Topical Issue on Recent Developments in Applied and Engineering Mathematics
- Open Physics: Topical Issue on Advances on Modelling of Flowing and Transport in Porous Media
- Open Physics: Topical Issue on Information Technology and Computational Physics
- Open Medicine: Topical Issue on Chronic Diseases in Respiratory system; Cancer Target Therapy; Precision Medicine
- Open Theology: Topical Issue on Multiple Religious Belonging
- Open Theology: Topical Issue on Alternative Religiosities in the Soviet Union and the Communist East-Central Europe: Formations, Resistances and Manifestations
- Open Chemistry: Topical Issue on Recycling by-products and waste materials to restore degraded environments, and/or use as biosorbents
- Open Chemistry: Natural Products with Biological Activities
- Open Chemistry: Topical Issue on Polymer Science
- Open Chemistry: Topical Issue on Advanced organic functional materials for practical applications
- Open Linguistics: Topical Issue on A Multilingual Focus on Lexicography and Phraseography
- Open Linguistics: Topical Issue on Personal Narrative Online
- Open Linguistics: Topical Issue on Sign Linguistics and Gesture Studies
- Open Linguistics: Topical Issue "Place reference in conversation"
- Open Linguistics: Topical Issue on Treebanking and Ancient Languages: Current and Prospective Research
- Open Agriculture: Topical Issue on Beyond biofuel: bio-based products at the gateway of the European bioeconomy
- Open Agriculture: Special Issue on the 3rd Biotechnology Summit 2016
- Open Agriculture: Topical Issue on Agriculture in Space
- Open Mathematics: Topical Issue on “Metaheuristics: Methods and Applications”
- Open Mathematics: Topical Issue on “Cyber-Security Mathematics”
- Open Life Sciences: Topical Issue on Cancer Signaling, Metastasis and Target Therapy
- Open Life Sciences: Special Issue on CleanWAS 2015
- Open Mathematics: Special Issue on Recent Developments in Differential Equations
- Open Engineering: Topical Issue on “ICEUBI2015 – International Conference on Engineering UBI 2015 – Engineering for Society”
- Open Archaeology: Topical Issue on Challenging Digital Archaeology
- Open Archaeology: Topical Issue on Bioarchaeology
- Open Archaeology: Topical Issue on Food and the Senses
- Open Archaeology: Topical Issue on Advances in Arctic Archaeology
- Open Archaeology: Topical Issue on Uncovering Historical Routes for Sustainable Mobility: Methods, Tools and Case Studies
- Open Archaeology: Topical Issue on Aspects of non-professional metal detecting in Europe
- Open Archaeology: Topical Issue on Understanding diversity in Neolithic houses and households
- Open Geosciences: Special Issue on Hydroinformatics and Water Management
- Open Geosciences: Special Issue on Frontiers in Earth Sciences
- Open Archaeology: Topical Issue on Portable XRF in Archaeology and Museum Studies
- Open Physics: Topical Issue on Nonlinear Dynamics in General and Dynamical Systems in particular
- Open Linguistics: Topical Issue on Historical Sociolinguistic Philology
- Innovation and Impact: Topical Issue on Polish Scientific Networks
- Innovation and Impact: Topical Issue „Start-up: a girl thing”
- Molecular Based Mathematical Biology: Special Issue on Topological modeling and analysis of big data in biomolecules
- Molecular Based Mathematical Biology: Special Issue on Molecular bioscience and biophysics: models, methods and applications
- Molecular Based Mathematical Biology: Special Issue on Modeling and Computations on Lipid Bilayer Membranes
- Mathematical Morphology - Theory and Applications: Special Issue on Advances on Discrete Geometry and Mathematical Morphology for Computer Vision
- Open Mathematics: Topical Issue on Topological and algebraic genericity in Inﬁnite Dimensional Spaces
- Bioethanol: Topical Issue on Bioethanol Production from First, Second and Third Generation
- DNA Barcodes: Topical Issue on DNA Barcoding of Fishes
- Change and Adaptation in Socio-Ecological Systems: Topical Issue on Sustainability in the Water-Energy-Food Nexus
- Person and knowledge: from participant-role to epistemic marking
- Special Issue in Acta Geophysica on Statistical Seismology
- Open Chemistry: Topical Issue on Chemical Synthesis of Nanomaterials for Solar Energy conversion, storage and Environmental Applications
- Special Issue on “Mathematical modelling in applied sciences”
- Organic Photonics and Photovoltaics: Topical Issue on Organic Electronics
- Topological Algebra and its Applications: Special Issue - Proceedings from the International Conference dedicated to the 120th anniversary of Kazimierz Kuratowski
- Optofluidics, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics: Special Issue on Cell manipulation and analysis in microfluidic chips
- Mathematical Morphology - Theory and Applications: Special Issue - 13th International Symposium on Mathematical Morphology, 2017
- Open Agriculture: Special Issue on the APA 2016 - 10th Triennial Conference
- Optical Data Processing and Storage: Emerging Fields in Optics, Photonics and Materials - Fundamental Methods and Applications
- Optical Data Processing and Storage: Displays, Imaging and Holographic Technology
- Open Mathematics: Special Issue on Metaheuristics
- Open Chemistry: Topical Issue on Catalysis
- Open Agriculture: Special Issue on the X European Mountain Convention and the I International Conference on Research for Sustainable Development in Mountain Regions
- Open Archeology: Special Issue on social dynamics and transformation during the Late Neolithic and Bronze Age in Northwest Europe
- Change and Adaptation in Socio-Ecological Systems: Special Issue on RegioResources 21 2016
- Change and Adaptation in Socio-Ecological Systems: Special Issue on Size of the Society – Linkages Between Material Flows and Stocks of Socio-economic Metabolism
- Open Linguistics: Post-conference special issue - Perspectives on Language Sustainability: Discourses, Policies and Practices
- Special Matrices: Special Issue dedicated to the 8th Linear Algebra Workshop (LAW'17)
- Open Theology: Bible Translation
- Open Theology: Is Transreligious Theology Possible?
- Open Theology: Science and/or Religion - a 21st Century Debate
- Open Theology: Analytic Perspectives on Method and Authority in Theology
- Open Archeology: Topical Issue on Exploring Advances in the Use of 3D Models of Objects in Archaeological Research
- Open Chemistry: Topical Issue on Agriculture
- Open Chemistry: Topical Issue on Research for Natural Bioactive Products
- Open Chemistry: Topical Issue on Continuous-Flow Synthesis
- Open Theology: Phenomoenology of Religious Experience
- Open Economics: Shadow Economy and Economics of Crime
- Open Cultural Studies: Media and Emotions. The New Frontiers of Affect in Digital Culture
- Open Cultural Studies: On Uses of Black Camp
- Open Cultural Studies: Materiality, Objects and Objecthood
- Open Cultural Studies: Migration and Translation
- Open Economics: Developments in Environmental and Energy Economics
- Open Medicine: Topical Issue on Cancer Biomarkers
- Open Linguistics: Special Issue on Sound Symbolism
- Open Cultural Studies: Popular Mediations of Science - Critical Perspectives on Science and its Contexts
- Open Cultural Studies: The Pre-Raphaelites and Antiquity
- Open Theology: Cognitive Linguistics and Theology
- Paladyn Journal of Behavioral Robotics: Special Issue based on ECCE 2017
- Open Cultural Studies: Multicultural Cervantes
- Open Cultural Studies: B(l)ack Futures - Flat Time in Black Performance
- Open Linguistics: Special Issue on Inferences in interaction in language change
- Open Cultural Studies: Minority languages and cultures and the politics of disenfranchisement
- Electrospinning: Electrospinning in Tissue Engineering
- Open Cultural Studies: Transmediating Culture(s)?
- Nonautonomous Dynamical Systems: Recent Developments in Differential Equations and Their Applications
- Open Physics: Advanced physics in membrane transport and technology
- Dependence Modeling: Special Issue for the Salzburg Workshop on Dependence Models & Copulas
- Molecular Based Mathematical Biology: Microscopic charge/particle transport at molecular level
- Open Life Sciences: Precision Medicine
- Open Computer Science: Modern Trends in Computer Science
Open Theology: Cognitive Linguistics and Theology
Dr. John Sanders, Hendrix College
Cognitive linguistics is an influential approach to language and cognition used in a wide array of disciplines from psychology to law. It has tremendous promise to help us better understand biblical and theological texts, explain what is going on in theolgical debates, and for understanding the difficulties of communicating religious meaning across cultures. Cognitive linguistics emphasizes the human body in interaction with our environment as the basis for the human mental tool kit. Cognitive tools such as prototypicality, metaphor, metonymy, blending, and perspectivization have been extensivily researched and empirically studied.
This special issue will explore the benefits of using a cogntive linguistics approach to conceptual structures such as metaphor and categorization for theology. We welcome proposals that, for example, apply prototype theory or conceptual blending theory to theological topics or biblical texts.
Some possible research topics:
- In what respects does conceptual metaphor theory affirm and critique well-known approaches to metaphor in theolgy?
- Does it shed new light on old debates? Does cogntive linguistics provide a distinctive answer to how we should understand language about God? For instance, is the so-called doctrine of analogy rendered problematic now or can we better see what it was trying to achieve?
- Does blending theory help explain the Christological statements of the Councils of Nicea and Chalcedon?
- In what respects does cogntive linguistics enhance feminist, liberationist or other approaches to theology?
- What does cognitive linguistics contribute to our understanding of hermeneutics?
- Do notions such as idealized cognitive models and perspective provide insight into debates about contextualizing theology?
Authors publishing their articles in the special issue will benefit from:
- transparent, comprehensive and fast peer review
- efficient route to fast-track publication and full advantage of De Gruyter Open’s e-technology,
- free language assistance for authors from non-English speaking regions.
Publication costs should be covered by so called Article Processing Charges (APC), paid by authors, their affiliated institutions, funders or sponsors. Authors who would like to apply for discounts or free publication are asked to discuss it with Managing Editor of the journal Dr. Katarzyna Tempczyk (firstname.lastname@example.org) before submitting their article.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Submissions are due October 1, 2017. To submit an article for the special issue of Open Theology, authors are asked to access the on-line submission system at: http://www.editorialmanager.com/openth/
Please choose as article type: “Topical Issue Article: Cognitive Linguistics”.
Before submission the authors should carefully read over the Instruction for Authors, available at: http://www.degruyter.com/view/supplement/s23006579_Instruction_for_Authors.pdf
All contributions will undergo critical review before being accepted for publication.
Further questions about this thematic issue can be addressed to Dr. John Sanders at email@example.com. In case of technical or financial questions, please contact journal Managing Editor Dr. Katarzyna Tempczyk at firstname.lastname@example.org.