De Gruyter is one of the leading, independent, open access academic publishers worldwide and we have over 250 years’ experience of supporting scholars and researchers to give their best to the world.
We are dedicated to the pursuit and dissemination of first-class knowledge, and provide support and high-quality services to help our authors navigate the entire publication process, from initial submission, review and funding to publication on degruyter.com.
What are the benefits of open access publishing?
Open access allows free and permanent access to your content. Your research can be accessed from anywhere in the world finding a larger, international, and more diverse audience.
Increased impact of your content
More researchers will read your research, leading to a larger number of citations and enhancing the reputation of your work and your standing as an author.
Copyright remains with the author and the use of permissive Creative Commons licenses empowers researchers to build on upon research.
Increased speed to market
Quicker turnaround time from acceptance of manuscript/article to publication on degruyter.com – your research findings reach your audience more quickly.
What are the benefits of open access publishing with De Gruyter?
Experience and reputation
- De Gruyter was an early champion and adopter of open access and is a vigorous advocate of opening up high-quality content to all researchers
- We are a leading academic publisher, and one of the largest open access publishers in the world
- We have a solid portfolio of open access titles across all product types within STEM and HSS disciplines
- De Gruyter’s mission is to publish excellent scholarly work in open access
- We are a family-owned company and we care – not only about the quality of scholarly work, but about our relationships with our authors, partners, and affiliated institutions
Highest possible standards and service
- We are recognized for our high standards by our partners, authors and the academic community
- We are committed to sound peer review, excellent editorial practices and offer a bespoke author service
De Gruyter’s Open Access Policies
Copyright and licensing
Copyright gives the copyright holder – you, our author – exclusive legal rights over how others use your work. We use Creative Commons licensing so that you retain the copyright of any work that you publish with De Gruyter.
All articles in our pure open access journals are published under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license, unless otherwise requested.
All articles in our hybrid open access journals, as well as books and book chapters published with us, are made available under either the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) or Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommerical-NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND) license.
Compliance with Open Access Mandates
There are many binding and non-binding policies, called mandates, that govern open access material and that are adopted worldwide. De Gruyter assumes responsibility for compliance with common mandates on your behalf. For example, we are fully compliant with the Wellcome Trust, UK Research Innovation, and other funders’ mandates and will supply our authors with a Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license, when required.