FAQ for Librarians
Below, you can find the most frequently asked questions regarding the launch of our new website. This page will be updated regularly.
Your Questions answered
We’ve not just built a new website – we’ve developed a completely new digital infrastructure based on cloud technology. The new platform has been tested in close cooperation with academic institutions around the world. It is owned by De Gruyter, enabling us to act independently from service providers. This allows us to react to our users’ and customers’ demands much quicker and more flexibly without huge IT or technology upheaval.
We've been working with software consultancy 67 Bricks, which has built award-winning digital platforms for some of the most respected names in publishing. This new partnership represents our commitment to invest heavily in a new robust framework.
If you placed an order without a De Gruyter account, we will have set up an account for you:
- Please go to www.degruyter.com and click on ‘Log in’ in the top right-hand corner.
- Reset your password by clicking on the ‘Forgot your password?’ link. Please use the email address you used for your order.
- Follow the instructions in the email you receive to set your password and log in.
- When you have logged in, go to your account (top right-hand corner).
- Then click on ‘My publications’ to see your ordered products. There you can also find a link to the product.
If you already have a De Gruyter account:
- Please log in straight away, or use the ‘Forgot your password?’ function to reset your password.
We have built this platform to provide all our users with fast, secure and seamless digital access to 270 years of scholarly research.
At launch, the platform focused on these key functionalities:
- All content (metadata, content data, covers, supplementary files)
- All user entitlements (institutions, consortia and individuals, authors tagged in the content)
- Continuous updates of content data and entitlements
Since launch, we have been adding functionalities continuously based on the analysis of usage data and user needs.
We launched the first version of our webshop in early June and are working on a second version to allow users to order print books directly from us.
We have built a new homepage with browse functionality, which we are updating and improving.
We are also working on advanced search functions for our databases, but these will only be available in Q3 2021.
Some functionalities that users have been asking for, such as the ability to download PDF flyers or send automatic alerts, are not part of the new platform at the moment.
We are looking at all user requirements carefully to determine which ones we will build next with the highest priority. We will keep everyone informed about our progress.
Your email has remained the same, but you will have to reset your password as we have not migrated this. Library administrators were sent further information on how to reset passwords shortly after launch.
Our webshop has been implemented after launch and is being optimised constantly.
Bookmarks and alerts have also not been migrated.
- Yes, we provide open URL format links to discovery services via KBART files.
- These will continue to give access to licensed content.
We support all methods of access previously supported: IP access, username/password (for individuals), Shibboleth and EZproxy. In addition to IPv4, we now also support IPv6.
Yes, we have migrated all existing IPs, so the access will not be interrupted.
Yes, as soon as your order has been processed by our system, the named contact in your order details will receive a notification that access has been set up.
- Yes, these links continue to lead through to our new platform.
- We also have a robust redirect in place for any URLs that may have changed so you are taken to the correct page.
Yes, institutional administrators can access the Librarian self-service area DG Data to access holdings information and usage reports. Please email email@example.com with your request. You will then receive instructions on how to create a new administrator account and get access to DG Data.
- We do not have a timeframe yet, but we will share that information when we do.
- COUNTER 4 statistics will be available until the end of 2021.
- After that, we will only offer COUNTER 5 statistics for 2020 and 2021.
Yes. The new platform is more stable, much faster and more flexible, offering improved search facilities and a better user experience.
Yes. The mobile site is built using responsive technology and opens automatically when accessed from a mobile device.
- The site requires the latest version of Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as a browser.
We have ensured all your content data and entitlements work properly. We have migrated all your licensed content (ebooks, journals, databases) as well as your access data (IPs, Shibboleth, Open Athens) and library administrators. We have been working to make sure our data is correct, consistent, and usable for a seamless migration.
You do not need to replace your existing MARC records or KBART files, as the URLs in both continue to lead through to the De Gruyter platform via DOI or OpenURL format.
In order to change or update your IPs, please register with The IP Registry. Benefits include:
- IPs will be updated in real-time from The IP Registry into the De Gruyter system.
- IPs will be validated upon input to reduce errors and access issues.
- The service is free for libraries.
- IPs are sent to other publishers where you may have licensed content, not just De Gruyter, with no need to contact all individually.
- The IP Registry does not share any personal data, so only your IPs are passed on to publisher systems.
If you want us to update your IPs for you, please contact our Technical Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org
Through DG Data, the new self-service portal for librarians.
In DG Data you will find holdings lists and usage reports in COUNTER format for your institution.
To get access DG Data for your institution, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Please note that SUSHI access details have changed, so a new URL and API key will have to be set up at your end for the new platform.
- In LibLynx, you can only download usage statistics and SUSHI details.
- Functionalities that were in AMS, like adding a logo, changing your account name or adding a link resolver, are no longer possible.
- If you need to update your access details, please either register via The IP Registry or email us.
- COUNTER 4 and COUNTER 5 reports have been migrated into LibLynx.
- The usage for the previous platform is included in COUNTER 4 statistics for 2019 and 2020, as well as COUNTER 5 for 2020 to January 2021.
- The usage for the degruyter.com is available from February 2021 onwards in COUNTER 5 format.
- January 2021 has been merged in to give you the full year of usage.
- Some statistics were too large to integrate into the download form.
- Please check if you have a section for Legacy Reports Download at the bottom of the page – this is where you can find CSV files of the reports in question.
- Yes. The degruyter.com website is accessible for all member institutions in eduGAIN.
- Please make sure your federation metadata is up to date to make the SP available to your users.
- Since December 2020, our entity ID is www.degruyter.com/ssp
Please provide us with your Entity ID (at firstname.lastname@example.org) if Shibboleth access should be added to your account.
De Gruyter’s customer service team will continue to assist you with any queries you may have. Please email email@example.com and include links, screenshots or any further details that might help us to solve your query quickly.