Lilie, Ralph-Johannes / Ludwig, Claudia / Zielke, Beate / Pratsch, Thomas
Prosopographie der mittelbyzantinischen Zeit Online
Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften. Nach Vorarbeiten F. Winkelmanns erstellt
[Prosopography of the Middle Byzantine Period Online]
- Only online prosopography covering the whole Middle Byzantine Period (641–1025 AD).
- Documents all persons mentioned either by name or anonymously in the relevant Byzantine and non-Byzantine sources, and secondly all persons mentioned in the Byzantine sources both from Western Europe and from the Arabic and Slavonic areas, together with those from the Christian East.
- Brings sources and modern scholarship from many different publications together on over 21,000 persons.
- Offers detailed search functionality.
- User Guide available
- Non-restrictive DRM – allows for an unlimited number of simultaneous users campus / institution-wide
Aims and Scope
The Prosopographie der mittelbyzantinischen Zeit Online/Prosopography of the Middle Byzantine Period Online (PMBZ Online) is a comprehensive biographical dictionary for the Byzantine Empire in the early Medieval Period (641-1025 AD) documenting more than 21,000 persons. PMBZ Online is based on the print edition of the Prosopographie der mittelbyzantinischen Zeit which appeared in two parts 1998 and 2013. PMBZ Online documents all persons mentioned either by name or anonymously in the relevant Byzantine and non-Byzantine sources, and secondly all persons mentioned in the Byzantine sources both from Western Europe and from the Arabic and Slavonic areas, together with those from the Christian East. The individual articles/lemmata offer the reader a summary of a person's biography (where possible) and state all sources pertaining to this person as well as relevant modern scholarship. The contents of an article/lemma include: name in translation and in Greek, title/occupation, place, period, gender, clergy/laity, life, works, sources, and references.
For help and more information on our Online Reference Products, please click here.
- Type of Publication: