The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy
Editor-in-Chief: Jürges, Hendrik / Ludwig, Sandra
Ed. by Auriol , Emmanuelle / Brunner, Johann / Fleck, Robert / Mendola, Mariapia / Requate, Till / Zulehner, Christine / Schirle, Tammy
IMPACT FACTOR 2015: 0.250
5-year IMPACT FACTOR: 0.825
SCImago Journal Rank (SJR) 2015: 0.501
Source Normalized Impact per Paper (SNIP) 2015: 0.418
Impact per Publication (IPP) 2015: 0.455
- Institutional Subscription€ [D] 398.00 / US$ 548.00 / GBP 299.00*
- Institutional Subscription€ [D] 398.00 / US$ 548.00 / GBP 299.00*Individual Subscription€ [D] 398.00 / US$ 548.00 / GBP 299.00*
- Print + Online
- Institutional Subscription€ [D] 480.00 / US$ 657.00 / GBP 360.00*
- Most Downloaded Articles
Most Downloaded Articles
- The Inheritance of Educational Inequality: International Comparisons and Fifty-Year Trends by Hertz, Tom/ Jayasundera, Tamara/ Piraino, Patrizio/ Selcuk, Sibel/ Smith, Nicole and Verashchagina, Alina
- IQ and Family Background: Are Associations Strong or Weak? by Björklund, Anders/ Hederos Eriksson, Karin and Jäntti, Markus
- Mental Health and Academic Success in College by Eisenberg, Daniel/ Golberstein, Ezra and Hunt, Justin B
- Economic Decision-Making in Poverty Depletes Behavioral Control by Spears, Dean
- Racial and Economic Factors in Attitudes to Immigration by Dustmann, Christian and Preston, Ian P
- Do Rising Top Income Shares Affect the Incomes or Earnings of Low and Middle-Income Families? by Thompson, Jeffrey P. and Leight, Elias
- Therapeutic Equivalence and the Generic Competition Paradox by Nabin, Munirul Haque/ Mohan, Vijay/ Nicholas, Aaron and Sgro, Pasquale M.
- Corporate Social Responsibility for Irresponsibility by Kotchen, Matthew and Moon, Jon J.
- The Causal Effect of Studying on Academic Performance by Stinebrickner, Ralph and Stinebrickner, Todd R.
- Before and After: Gender Transitions, Human Capital, and Workplace Experiences by Schilt, Kristen and Wiswall, Matthew
- The Evolution of Household Income Volatility by Dynan, Karen/ Elmendorf, Douglas and Sichel, Daniel
- The Impact of Voluntary Youth Service on Future Outcomes: Evidence from Teach For America by Dobbie, Will and Fryer, Jr., Roland G.
- Environmental Policy as Social Policy? The Impact of Childhood Lead Exposure on Crime by Reyes, Jessica Wolpaw
- Are You Paying Your Employees to Cheat? An Experimental Investigation by Cadsby, C. Bram/ Song, Fei and Tapon, Francis
- Turf and Illegal Drug Market Competition between Gangs by Naranjo, Alberto J.
- What Do We Know About Cross-subsidization? Evidence from Merging Firms by Chevalier, Judith
- Starting School at Four: The Effect of Universal Pre-Kindergarten on Children's Academic Achievement by Fitzpatrick, Maria D
Volume 16 (2016)
Volume 15 (2015)
Volume 14 (2014)
Volume 12 (2012)
Volume 11 (2011)
Volume 9 (2009)
Volume 6 (2006)
Volume 4 (2004)
Volume 2 (2002)
Volume 1 (2001)
- Regional Integration, Subsidy Competition and the Relocation Choice of MNCs
- Academic Journal Prices in a Digital Age: A Two-Sided Market Model
- A Model of Dysfunctional Urges and Addiction with an Application to Cigarette Smoking
- Gasoline Price Differences: Taxes, Pollution Regulations, Mergers, Market Power, and Market Conditions
- Disability Testing and Retirement
- The Short and Long Run Effects of Daylight Saving Time on Fatal Automobile Crashes
- The Effect of Smoking Bans on Bars and Restaurants: An Analysis of Changes in Employment
- Market Power Effects on Market Equilibrium in Ambient Permit Markets
- The Optimal Consumption and the Quitting of Harmful Addictive Goods
- The Pro-collusive Effect of Increasing the Repose Period for Price Fixing Agreements
- Does It Pay To Pray? Costly Ritual and Cooperation
- Vaccination Externalities
- Animal House: Economics of Pets and the Household
- The Informational Value of Affirmative Action in College Admissions
- Optimal Contracts for Health Services in the Presence of Waiting Times and Asymmetric Information
- Does Investment Promotion Work?
- Optimal Prevention when Informal Penalties Matter: The Case of Medical Errors
- Atkinson-Stiglitz Theorem with Endogenous Human Capital Accumulation
- Does the Minimum Wage Cause Inefficient Rationing?
- The Unpleasant Effects of Price Deregulation in the European Third-Party Motor Insurance Market: A Theoretical Framework
- Environmental Policy as Social Policy? The Impact of Childhood Lead Exposure on Crime
- Visa Screening and Collateral Import of Terrorism
- Are There Treatment Duration Differences in the Seattle and Denver Income Maintenance Experiments?
- Optimal Origin-based Commodity Taxation in a Small Open Economy
- Consumer Food Safety Risk Perceptions and Attitudes: Impacts on Beef Consumption across Countries
- State Graduation Requirements, High School Course Taking, and Choosing a Technical College Major
- The Marginal Propensity to Spend on Adult Children
- Entry Deterrence in a Duopoly Market
- Energy Taxes in Three Political Economy Models
- Foreign Direct Investment, Endogenous Tariffs, and Preferential Trade Agreements
- Detecting Information Pooling: Evidence from Earnings Forecasts after Brokerage Mergers
- Gender Specialization of Skill Acquisition
- Racial and Economic Factors in Attitudes to Immigration
- The Katrina Effect: Was There a Bright Side to the Evacuation of Greater New Orleans?
- The Timing of Prenatal WIC Participation
- The Role of Distance in Gravity Regressions: Is There Really a Missing Globalisation Puzzle?
- Resource Allocation with Spatial Externalities: Experiments on Land Consolidation
- How Standards Drive Taxes: The Political Economy of Tailpipe Pollution
- The Transactions Demand for Credit Cards
- Endogenous Corruption in a Federation
- Cost Effectiveness of R&D and Strategic Trade Policy
- Capital Structure and Entry Deterrence with Multiple Incumbents
- Emigration and Brain Drain: Evidence from the Caribbean
- Alcohol Control Policies and Youth Alcohol Consumption: Evidence from 28 Years of Monitoring the Future
- Can Stricter Environmental Regulations Increase Export of the Polluting Good?
- Human Capital and Welfare Dynamics in Canada
- Do Environmental Regulations Cost Jobs? An Industry-Level Analysis of the UK
- Understanding the Internet's Relevance to Media Ownership Policy: A Model of Too Many Choices
- The Pollution Haven Paradox: Can an Effluent Tax Improve both Profits and Welfare?
- Life Is Cheap: Using Mortality Bonds to Hedge Aggregate Mortality Risk
- The Impact of Reputation Timing and Source on Auction Outcomes
- Family Expenditures on Child Care
- Financial Aid and Student Bargaining Power
- The Ghost of Corruption
- Ideology, Inequality and Inequitable Trade Policies
- The 1990 Clean Air Act and the Implicit Price of Sulfur in Coal
- Coordination Failure in Foreign Aid
- Trade and Development in a Labor Surplus Economy
- Strategic Use of Copyright Protection to Deter Entry
- Does Increased Abortion Lead to Lower Crime? Evaluating the Relationship between Crime, Abortion, and Fertility
- Economic Geography and the Effect of Environmental Pollution on Agglomeration
- Bank Fragility and Growth Expectations
- Firm Regulation and Profit Sharing: A Real Option Approach
- Understanding Participation in Social Programs: Why Don't Households Pick up the Lifeline?
- Cross-Border Shopping and the Sales Tax: An Examination of Food Purchases in West Virginia
Capital Structure and Entry Deterrence with Multiple Incumbents
1Universidad Catolica de Chile, (email)
Citation Information: The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy. Volume 7, Issue 1, ISSN (Online) 1935-1682, DOI: 10.2202/1935-1682.1590, May 2007
- Published Online:
This paper uses a two-stage Cournot duopoly model with demand uncertainly to examine the strategic role debt plays in deterring a company from entering when a potential entrant can enter one of several markets. We show that as the number of alternative markets available for entry rises, the incumbents' incentive to use debt as a deterrent falls. Thus, a potential entrant will prefer to have a larger number of alternative markets to enter in order to lower the incumbents' incentive to take strategic actions against it.