Editor-in-Chief: Boccaccini, Aldo R.
1 Issue per year
Biomedical Glasses is an international Open Access-only journal covering the field of glasses for biomedical applications. The aim of the journal is to provide a peer-reviewed forum for the publication of original research reports and authoritative review articles related to the development of biomedical glasses and their use in clinical applications. The scope of the journal covers the science and technology of glasses and glass-based materials intended for applications in medicine and dentistry. It includes:
- Chemistry, physics, structure, design and characterization of biomedical glasses
- Surface science and interactions of biomedical glasses with aqueous and biological media
- Modeling structure and reactivity of biomedical glasses and their interfaces
- Biocompatibility of biomedical glasses
- Processing of biomedical glasses to achieve specific forms and functionality
- Biomedical glass coatings and composites
- In vitro and in vivo evaluation of biomedical glasses
- Glasses and glass-ceramics in engineered regeneration of tissues and organs
- Glass-based devices for medical and dental applications
- Application of glasses and glass-ceramics in healthcare
Aims and Scope
Why subscribe and read
Biomedical Glasses is the only peer-reviewed journal entirely focused on biomedical glasses. With an Editorial Board composed of experts covering all areas of this rapidly growing field, the journal aims to provide a preeminent forum for the publication of high-quality articles related to biomedical glasses. The aim of the journal is to become the most authoritative publication in the field of glasses for biomedical applications.
With an Editorial Board composed of experts covering all areas of the field, Biomedical Glasses will provide authors with an open-access journal for the rapid publication of their original research reports and review articles related to biomedical glasses. The aim of the journal is to acquire the status of being a preeminent forum selected by authors for the publication of their research reports and review articles in the field of glasses for medical applications.
- Type of Publication:
- researchers in the field of science and technology of glasses and glass-based materials intended for applications in medicine and dentistry
Submission of Manuscripts
Instructions for Authors
Manuscripts should be submitted to the journal via online submission system Editorial Manager http://www.editorialmanager.com/bglass
The journal does not have article processing charges (APCs) nor article submission charges.
The journal uses a closed single-blind peer review system.
Manuscript submitted to this journal should:
- contain original work - not published elsewhere in any medium (in the whole or in part) by the authors or anyone else and not under consideration for publication in any other medium;
- focus on the aims and scope of the journal;
- be clearly and correctly written - should contain all essential features of a scientific publication that is easy to understand for the target audience;
- written in English - attention to detail of the language will avoid severe misunderstandings which might lead to rejection of the paper;
- be delivered in electronic format.
The journal accepts the following publication formats:
- Research Articles
- Communications and Rapid Communications
- Reviews and Mini-Reviews
- Vision Papers
- Letters to the Editor and Amendments
It is important that authors include a cover letter with their manuscript. Please explain why you consider your manuscript as suitable for publication in the journal, why will your paper inspire the other members of your field, and how will it drive research forward.
The letter should contain all important details such as:
- your full name (submitted by)
- full title of article and short title
- full list of authors with affiliations
- e-mail of the corresponding author
- contact address, telephone/fax numbers of the corresponding author
- number of attached files, if there is more than one
- status: new, reviewed or accepted (with reference ID if reviewed or accepted)
Cover letter should explicitly state that the manuscript (or one with substantially the same content, by any of the authors) has not been previously published in any language anywhere and that it is not under simultaneous consideration or in press by another journal. If related work has been submitted, then we may require a preprint to be made available. Reviewers will be asked to comment on the overlap between the related submissions.
Manuscripts that have been previously rejected, or withdrawn after being returned for modification, may be resubmitted if the major criticisms have been addressed. The cover letter must state that the manuscript is a resubmission, and the former manuscript number should be provided.
Conflict of interest declaration
To ensure fair and objective decision-making, authors must declare any associations that pose a conflict of interest in connection with evaluated manuscripts (see Editorial Policy for details). Authors are encouraged to fill in the ICMJE Conflicts of Interest Form (available here) and send it in the electronic format to the Journal Editor.
Open Access License
Authors have to sign an Open Access License that is available on the journal webpage. We encourage the authors to send the signed license along with the manuscript. Please note, that no article will be published unless the Open Access License is signed.
Our contributors are asked to make sure their submissions comply with rules governing the formatting. Although the journal can provide limited technical support, it is ultimately the responsibility of the author to deliver a properly formatted electronic version of the article.
We accept submission of text, tables and figures as separate files or as a composite file. For your initial submission, we recommend you upload your entire manuscript, including tables and figures, as a single PDF file. If you are invited to submit a revised manuscript, please provide us with individual files: an editable text and publication-quality figures.
- Text files can be submitted in the following formats: MS Word - standard DOCUMENT (.DOC) or RICH TEXT FORMAT (.RTF); PDF (not applicable for re-submitted or accepted manuscripts, see below)
- Tables should be submitted as MS Word or PDF (not applicable for re-submitted or accepted manuscripts, see below). Please note that a straight Excel file is not an acceptable format
- Graphics files can be submitted in any of the following graphic formats: EPS; BMP; JPG; TIFF; GIF or PDF. Please note that Powerpoint files are not accepted
Post acceptance, text files of the revised manuscript and tables are required for use in the production.
Any articles that have been prepared in LaTeX will be accepted for review, but only in PDF format. Post acceptance, text files of the revised manuscript and tables are required for use in the production. Authors are encouraged to use De Gruyter Open LaTeX template file.
Authors should clearly indicate location of tables and figures in the text if these elements are given separately or at the end of the manuscript. If this information is not provided to the editorial office, we will assume that they should be left at the end of the text.
For further instructions, please carefully follow the guidelines described in Instructions for Authors.
Abstracting & Indexing
Biomedical Glasses is covered by the following services:
- Baidu Scholar
- CNKI Scholar (China National Knowledge Infrastructure)
- DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals)
- EBSCO (relevant databases)
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- Google Scholar
- Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- KESLI-NDSL (Korean National Discovery for Science Leaders)
- Microsoft Academic
- Naviga (Softweco)
- Polish Scientific Journals Database
- Primo Central (ExLibris)
- SCImago (SJR)
- Summon (Serials Solutions/ProQuest)
- Ulrich's Periodicals Directory/ulrichsweb
- WanFang Data
- WorldCat (OCLC)
Aldo R. Boccaccini, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
Delia S. Brauer, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Germany
Julian R. Jones, Imperial College London, UK
Mohamed Rahaman, Missouri University of Science and Technology, USA
Antonio Tilocca, University College London, UK
Chengtie Wu, Shanghai Institute of Ceramics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
Editorial Advisory Board
Alastair Cormack, Alfred University, USA
Delbert E. Day, Missouri University of Science and Technology, USA
Wolfram Höland, Ivoclar Vivadent AG, Liechtenstein
Toshihiro Kasuga, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Japan
Christian Rüssel, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Germany
Maria Vallet-Regí, Complutense University of Madrid, Spain
Edgar D. Zanotto, Federal University of São Carlos, Brazil
Hala Zreiqat, University of Sydney, Australia
Ifty Ahmed, University of Nottingham, UK
Devis Bellucci, University of Modena and Reggio-Emilia, Italy
Daniel Boyd, Dalhousie University, Canada
Ilaria Cacciotti, University of Rome "Niccolò Cusano", Italy
Valeria Cannillo, University of Modena and Reggio-Emilia, Italy
Xiaofeng Chen, South China University of Technology, China
Alexis G. Clare, Alfred University, USA
Elisabeth Engel, Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, Spain
José M. Ferreira, University of Aveiro, Portugal
Ashutosh Goel, Rutgers-The State University of New Jersey, USA
Leena Hupa, Abo Akademi University, Finland
Himanshu Jain, Lehigh University, USA
Edouard Jallot, Université Blaise Pascal, Clermont-Ferrand II, France
Steven B. Jung, MO-SCI Corporation, USA
Hae-Won Kim, Dankook University, Korea
Jonathan C. Knowles, University College London, UK
Gianluca Malavasi, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
Jonathan Massera, Tampere University of Technology, Finland
Akiko Obata, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Japan
Haobo Pan, Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology, China
Marivalda Pereira, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil
Seyed-Iman Roohani-Esfahani, University of Sydney, Australia
Antonio Salinas, Complutense University of Madrid, Spain
Ian Thompson, King's College London, UK
Enrica Vernè, Polytechnic of Turin, Italy
Fredrik Ollila, BonAlive Biomaterials Ltd., Finland
Elena Boccardi, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
Matteo Gigli, University of Bologna, Italy
DE GRUYTER Poland
Bogumiła Zuga 32A Str.
01-811 Warsaw, Poland
T: +48 22 701 50 15
Prof. Aldo R. Boccaccini c/o