Bioinspired Materials is closed for submissions since February 24, 2016.
Topical Issue on Micro-structured bioinspired functional surfaces
Bioinspired Materials is an innovative journal devoted to publish constructive peer-reviewed, open access, cutting-edge articles from a wide range of research fields that use inspiration from Nature for the design of artificial materials for several scopes. These materials can be bioinspired at different levels, i.e. molecular/supra-molecular, functional, or structural. In this context, examples include responsive materials that change their properties in response to an external stimulus, or hierarchical-structured materials that imitate mechanical properties of natural ones. Applications of bioinspired materials can be also considered, including but not restricted to novel adhesives and paints, technologies for buildings, consumer products, as well as their use as building blocks of pioneering soft bioinspired robots. The Bioinspired Materials aims to be a research platform where worldwide researchers can submit and/or follow the latest developments in this fast multi- and interdisciplinary growing field, which merges competences in chemistry, engineering, physics, materials science, biology, and medicine.
Typical areas of interest include:
- Bioinspired Materials Design, Characterization and Modelling
- Soft Materials
- Nanocomposite Materials
- Hierarchical-Structured Materials
- Cellular Materials
- Structure-Function Relations
- Structural Materials Mechanics
- DNA Machines
- Self-healing Materials
- Bioinspired Surfaces
- Bioinspired Adhesion
- Self-cleaning Materials
- Responsive Materials and Actuators
- Sensing Materials
- Applications of New Bio-Inspired Materials
- Architecture and Green and Sustainable Design
Aims and Scope
Bioinspired Materials is devoted to publish constructive peer-reviewed, open access, cutting-edge articles from a wide range of related research fields in a fast-tracking online system. The Bioinspired Materials aims to be a research platform where worldwide researchers can submit and/or follow the latest developments in this fast multi- and interdisciplinary growing field.
- No publication charge for articles published in the first two volumes
- Unique journal in this emerging area
- Excellent multi- and interdisciplinary articles
- Open access (free web access)
- Fast article processing, editing and online publishing
- Online article tracking system
- Direct contact with journal editor (JE)
- Publication under various forms
- High quality and cutting-edge articles together with excellent worldwide Editorial Advisory Board (EAB) insure journal's promotion and high visibility/dissemination
- Free language correction services to non-native English speaking authors
- DE GRUYTER OPEN
- Type of Publication:
Submission of Manuscripts
Instructions for Authors
Manuscripts should be submitted to the journal via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Manuscript submitted to this journal should:
- contain original work - not published elsewhere in any medium (in the whole or in part) by the authors or anyone else and not under consideration for publication in any other medium,
- focus on the aims and scope of the journal,
- be clearly and correctly written - should contain all essential features of a scientific publication that is easy to understand for the target audience,
- written in English - attention to detail of the language will avoid severe misunderstandings which might lead to rejection of the paper,
- be delivered in electronic format.
The journal publishes:
- Research Articles,
- Communications and Rapid Communications*,
- Reviews and Mini-Reviews,
- Vision papers,
- Letter to the editor.
Our contributors are asked to make sure their submissions comply with rules governing the formatting. Although the journal can provide limited technical support, it is ultimately the responsibility of the author to deliver a properly formatted electronic version of the article.
We accept submission of text, tables and figures as separate files or as a composite file. For your initial submission, we recommend you upload your entire manuscript, including tables and figures, as a single PDF file. If you are invited to submit a revised manuscript, please provide us with individual files: an editable text and publication-quality figures.
- Text files can be submitted in the following formats: MS Word - standard DOCUMENT (.DOC) or RICH TEXT FORMAT (.RTF); PDF (not applicable for re-submitted or accepted manuscripts, see below),
- Tables should be submitted as MS Word or PDF (not applicable for re-submitted or accepted manuscripts, see below). Please note that a straight Excel file is not an acceptable format,
- Graphics files can be submitted in any of the following graphic formats: EPS; BMP; JPG; TIFF; GIF or PDF. Please note that Powerpoint files are not accepted.
Authors should clearly indicate location of tables and figures in the text if these elements are given separately or at the end of the manuscript. If this information is not provided to the editorial office, we will assume that they should be left at the end of the text.
It is important that authors include a cover letter with their manuscript. Please explain why you consider your manuscript as suitable for publication in journal, why will your paper inspire the other members of your field, and how will it drive research forward.
The letter should contain all important details such as:
- your full name (submitted by),
- full title of article and short title,
- full list of authors with affiliations,
- e-mail of the corresponding author,
- contact address, telephone/fax numbers of the corresponding author,
- number of attached files, if there is more than one,
- status: new, reviewed or accepted (with reference ID if reviewed or accepted).
Cover letter should explicitly state that the manuscript (or one with substantially the same content, by any of the authors) has not been previously published in any language anywhere and that it is not under simultaneous consideration or in press by another journal. If related work has been submitted, then we may require a preprint to be made available. Reviewers will be asked to comment on the overlap between the related submissions.
Manuscripts that have been previously rejected, or withdrawn after being returned for modification, may be resubmitted if the major criticisms have been addressed. The cover letter must state that the manuscript is a resubmission, and the former manuscript number should be provided.
To ensure fair and objective decision-making, authors must declare any associations that pose a conflict of interest in connection with evaluated manuscripts (see Editorial Policy for details). Authors may suggest up to two referees not to use and in such cases additional justification should be provided in the cover letter. Authors are encouraged to recommend up to five reviewers who are not members of their institution(s) and have never been associated with them or their laboratory(ies); please provide contact information for suggested reviewers. The Editors reserve the right to select expert reviewers at their discretion. For further instructions, please carefully follow the guidelines described in Instructions for Authors.
Open Access License
Authors have to sign an Open Access License that is available on the webpage. We encourage the authors to send the signed license along with the manuscript. Please note, that no article will be published unless the Open Access License is signed.
Abstracting & Indexing
Bioinspired Materials is covered by the following services:
- Baidu Scholar
- CNKI Scholar (China National Knowledge Infrastructure)
- EBSCO (relevant databases)
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- Google Scholar
- KESLI-NDSL (Korean National Discovery for Science Leaders)
- Naviga (Softweco)
- Primo Central (ExLibris)
- Summon (Serials Solutions/ProQuest)
- WanFang Data
- WorldCat (OCLC)
Nicola Pugno, Trent University, Italy
Barbara Mazzolai, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Italy
Ingrid Weiss, INM - Leibnitz Institute for New Materials, Germany
Editorial Advisory Board
Joachim Bill, University of Stuttgart, Germany
Markus Buehler, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
Helmut Cölfen, University of Konstanz, Germany
Patricia Dove, Virginia Tech, USA
Hermann Ehrlich, Technical University Freiberg, Germany
Slanislav Gorb, Zoological Institute of the University of Kiel, Germany
David Kisailus, University of California, USA
Stephen Mann, University of Bristol, UK
Boaz Pokroy, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Israel
Nico Sommerdijk, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands
Wolfgang Tremel, University of Mainz, Germany
Steve Weiner, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
Julian Vincent, Professor Emeritus, UK
James De Yoreo, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, USA
Matthew A. Hood, Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research, Germany
Nawaz Tahir, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, Germany
Francesca Tramacere, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Italy
Xintong Wang, Vanderbilt University, USA
DE GRUYTER OPEN
Bogumiła Zuga 32A Str.
01-811 Warsaw, Poland
T: +48 22 701 50 15