1. Neapolitan RE. Learning Bayesian networks, Prentice Hall series in artificial intelligence. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2004.Google Scholar
2. Tsamardinos I, Aliferis CF. Towards principled feature selection: relevancy, filters and wrappers. Proceedings of the Ninth International Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics. 2003.
3. Pearl J. Probabilistic reasoning in intelligent systems: networks of plausible inference, representation and reasoning. San Mateo, CA: Morgan Kaufmann, 1988.Google Scholar
4. Statnikov A, Lytkin NI, Lemeire J, Aliferis CF. Algorithms for discovery of multiple Markov boundaries. J Mach Learn Res 2013;14:499–566.Google Scholar
5. Eisen MB, Spellman PT, Brown PO, Botstein D. Cluster analysis and display of genomewide expression patterns. Proc Nat Acad Sci 1998;95:14863–8.Google Scholar
6. Holmes JH, Durbin DR, Winston FK. The learning classifier system: an evolutionary computation approach to knowledge discovery in epidemiologic surveillance. Artif Intell Med 2000;19:53–74.Google Scholar
7. Li L, Weinberg CR, Darden TA, Pedersen LG. Gene selection for sample classification based on gene expression data: study of sensitivity to choice of parameters of the Ga/Knn method. Bioinformatics 2001;17:1131–42.Google Scholar
8. Zhou X, Kao MCJ, Wong WH. Transitive functional annotation by shortest-path analysis of gene expression data. Proc Nat Acad Sci 2002;99:12783–8.Google Scholar
9. Hoerl AE, Kennard RW. Ridge regression: biased estimation for nonorthogonal problems. Technometrics 1970;12:55–67.Google Scholar
10. Vapnik V, Chapelle O. Bounds on error expectation for support vector machines. Neural Comput 2000;12:2013–36.Google Scholar
11. Qian J, Hastie T, Friedman J, Tibshirani R, Simon N. 2013. Glmnet for Matlab 2013. Available at http://www.stanford.edu/~hastie/glmnet matlab/
12. Chang CC, Lin CJ. LIBSVM: a library for support vector machines. ACM Trans Intell Syst Technol 2011;2.Google Scholar
13. Hall P, Li KC. On almost linearity of low dimensional projections from high dimensional data. Ann Stat 1993;21:867–89.Google Scholar
14. Dawid AP. Conditional independence in statistical theory. J Roy Stat Soc: Ser B 1979;41:1–31.Google Scholar
15. Peters J. On the intersection property of conditional independence and its application to causal discovery. J Causal Infer 2014;3:97–108.Google Scholar
17. Lemeire J, Meganck S, Cartella F. 2010. Robust independence-based causal structure learning in absence of adjacency faithfulness. Proceedings of the Fifth European Workshop on Probabilistic Graphical Models.
18. Dougherty E, Brun M. On the number of close-to-optimal feature sets. Cancer Inf 2006;2:189–96.Google Scholar
19. Ein-Dor L, Zuk O, Domany E. Thousands of samples are needed to generate a robust gene list for predicting outcome in cancer. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 2006;103:5923–8.Google Scholar
21. Cook DR. Regression graphics: ideas for studying regressions through graphics. Edited by Wiley Series in Probability and Statistics. Canada: John Wiley & Sons, 1998.Google Scholar
22. Richardson TS, Spirtes P. Automated discovery of linear feedback models. In: Glymour C, and Cooper G, editors. Computation, causation, and discovery. Menlo Park: AAAI Press, 253–302.
23. Richardson TS, Spirtes P. Ancestral graph Markov models. Ann Stat 2002;30:962–1030.Google Scholar
24. Duan N, Li K. Slicing regression: a link-free regression method. Ann Stat 1991;19:505–30.Google Scholar
25. Eaton ML. A characterization of spherical distributions. J Multivariate Anal 1986;20:272–6.Google Scholar
27. Ledoit O, Wolf M. Honey, I shrunk the sample covariance matrix. J Portfolio Manag 2004;30:110–19.Google Scholar
28. Ledoit O, Wolf M. Nonlinear shrinkage estimation of large-dimensional covariance matrices. Ann Stat 2012;40:l024–l060.Google Scholar
29. Aliferis CF, Tsamardinos I, Statnikov A. HITON: a novel Markov blanket algorithm for optimal variable selection. AMIA 2003 Annual Symposium Proceedings, 2003:21–5.
30. Aliferis CF, Statnikov A, Tsamardinos I, Mani S, Koutsoukos XD. Local causal and Markov blanket induction for causal discovery and feature selection for classification part i: algorithms and empirical evaluation. J Mach Learn Res 2010a;11:171–234.Google Scholar
31. Aliferis CF, Statnikov A, Tsamardinos I, Mani S, Koutsoukos XD. Local causal and Markov blanket induction for causal discovery and feature selection for classification part ii: analysis and extensions. J Mach Learn Res 2010b;11:235–84.Google Scholar
32. Statnikov A, Lytkin A, Lemeire J, Aliferis CF. Causal explorer: a Matlab library of algorithms for causal discovery and variable selection for classification. In: Guyon I, Aliferis CF, Cooper GF, Elisseeff A, Pellet JP, Spirtes P and Statnikov A, editors. Challenges in machine learning. Volume 2: causation and prediction challenge. Bookline, MA: Microtome Publishing, 2010.Google Scholar
33. Strobl Ev, Visweswaran S. Markov Banket Ranking using Kernel-based Conditional Dependence Measures. NIPS Workshop on Causality. 2013.
34. Spirtes P. Directed cyclic graphical representations of feedback models. Uncertainty Artif Intell 1995:491–8.
35. Scheines R, Spirtes P, Glymour C, Meek C, Richardson T. The TETRAD project: constraint based aids to causal model specification. Multivariate Behav Res 1998;33:65–117.Google Scholar
36. Statnikov A, Henaff M, Lytkin NI, Aliferis CF. New methods for separating causes from effects in genomics data. BMC Genomics 2012;13:S22. doi: 10.1186/1471-2164-13-S8-S22. Epub 2012 Dec 17.Web of ScienceCrossrefGoogle Scholar
37. Fukumizu K, Bach FR, Jordan MI. Kernel dimension reduction in regression. Ann Stat 2009;37:1871–905.Google Scholar
38. Fukumizu K, Leng C. Gradient-based Kernel dimension reduction for regression. J Am Stat Assoc 2014;109:359–70.Google Scholar
39. Pearl J, Dechter R. Identifying independencies in causal graphs with feedback. Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence: Proceedings of the Twelfth Conference, 1996: 420–426.
41. Cortes C, Vapnik V. Support vector networks. Mach Learn 1995;20:273–97.Google Scholar
42. Wu Y, Liu Y. Robust truncated loss support vector machines. J Am Stat Assoc 2007;102:974–83.Google Scholar
About the article
Published Online: 2015-11-03
Published in Print: 2016-03-01
Funding: Research reported in this publication was supported by grant U54HG008540 awarded by the National Human Genome Research Institute through funds provided by the trans-NIH Big Data to Knowledge initiative. The research was also supported by the National Library of Medicine of the National Institutes of Health under award numbers T15LM007059 and R01LM012095.