Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice
Ed. by Wawrzynski, Matthew R.
- Most Downloaded Articles
Most Downloaded Articles
- NASPA Journal Volume 46, Issue 4
- The Mental Health Needs of Today's College Students: Challenges and Recommendations by Kitzrow, Martha Anne
- Do Fraternities and Sororities Enhance Socially Responsible Leadership? by Martin, Georgianna L./ Hevel, Michael S. and Pascarella, Ernest T.
- U.S. Military Veterans Transition to College: Combat, PTSD, and Alienation on Campus by Elliott, Marta/ Gonzalez, Carlene and Larsen, Barbara
- Do Fraternities and Sororities Still Enhance Socially Responsible Leadership? Evidence From the Fourth Year of College by Hevel, Michael S./ Martin, Georgianna L. and Pascarella, Ernest T.
- Sorority Women’s and Fraternity Men’s Rape Myth Acceptance and Bystander Intervention Attitudes by Bannon, R. Sean/ Brosi, Matthew W. and Foubert, John D.
- Student Service Members/Veterans in Higher Education: A Systematic Review by Barry, Adam E./ Whiteman, Shawn D. and MacDermid Wadsworth, Shelley
- The Relationship Between Engagement in Cocurricular Activities and Academic Performance: Exploring Gender Differences by Zacherman, Avi and Foubert, John
- Fraternities and Sororities Shaping the Campus Climate of Personal and Social Responsibility by Barnhardt, Cassie L.
- Showing the Love: Predictors of Student Loyalty to Undergraduate Institutions by Vianden, Jörg and Barlow, Patrick J.
- NASPA Journal Volume 45, Issue 1
- The Role of Social Perspective-Taking in Developing Students’ Leadership Capacities by Dugan, John P./ Bohle, Christopher W./ Woelker, Lindsey R. and Cooney, Matthew A.
- Living Learning Communities and Students’ Sense of Community and Belonging by Spanierman, Lisa B./ Soble, Jason R./ Mayfield, Jennifer B./ Neville, Helen A./ Aber, Mark/ Khuri, Lydia and De La Rosa, Belinda
- NASPA Journal vol 43 no 1
- Exploring the Parental Role in First-Year Students’ Emotional Well-Being: Considerations by Gender by Sax, Linda J. and Weintraub, Dayna S.
- The Importance of College Roommate Relationships: A Review and Systemic Conceptualization by Erb, Sarah E./ Renshaw, Keith D./ Short, Jerome L. and Pollard, Jeffrey W.
- Development of Professional Identity Through Socialization in Graduate School by Liddell, Debora L./ Wilson, Maureen E./ Pasquesi, Kira/ Hirschy, Amy S. and Boyle, Kathleen M.
- Understanding Intent to Leave the Field: A Study of Student Affairs Master’s Students’ Career Plans by Silver, Blake R. and Jakeman, Rick C.
- Campus Microclimates for LGBT Faculty, Staff, and Students: An Exploration of the Intersections of Social Identity and Campus Roles by Vaccaro, Annemarie
- Coming Home: Student Veterans' Articulation of College Re-enrollment by Livingston, Wade G./ Havice, Pamela A./ Cawthon, Tony W. and Fleming, David S.
Volume 51 (2014)
Volume 50 (2013)
Volume 49 (2012)
Volume 48 (2011)
Volume 47 (2010)
Volume 46 (2009)
Volume 45 (2008)
Volume 44 (2008)
Volume 43 (2006)
Volume 42 (2005)
Volume 41 (2004)
Volume 40 (2003)
Volume 39 (2002)
Volume 38 (2001)
Volume 37 (2000)
Volume 36 (1999)
Volume 35 (1998)
- In Memoriam: Dr. Louis (Lou) C. Stamatakos, 1925-2011
- The Impact of an Online Educational Video and a Medical Amnesty Policy on College Students' Intentions to Seek Help in the Presence of Alcohol Poisoning Symptoms
- College Student Assessment of the Signs of Alcohol Poisoning: To Dream the Impossible Dream
- The Experiences of Gay Male Undergraduate Students at a Traditional Women's College
- Faith Development Within Religion and Philosophy Courses at a College of the Lutheran Church
- One Year Later: The Influence of Short-Term Study Abroad Experiences on Students
- This is How Life Can Be Different: How U.S. Student Experiences in International Education Programs Facilitate Civic and Global Engagement
- Media Review: The Trials of Academe: The New Era of Campus Litigation
- Media Review: "That's Why I Chose Yale"
- Media Review: Loyola University Chicago's and Northwestern University's Short Recruitment Video Campaigns on YouTube
- Media Review: Harnessing America's Wasted Talent: A New Ecology of Learning
College Student Assessment of the Signs of Alcohol Poisoning: To Dream the Impossible Dream
1University of Colorado at Boulder
Citation Information: Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice. Volume 48, Issue 2, Pages 159–172, ISSN (Online) 1949-6605, DOI: 10.2202/1949-6605.6152, May 2011
- Published Online:
Reliance on college student peer assessment of the signs of alcohol poisoning to prevent overdose deaths is, in most instances, an impossible dream, one that is both misleading and dangerous insofar as it fosters a false sense of security and enhances the perception of personal invulnerability. Although teaching the signs of alcohol poisoning should certainly continue, college students must understand that moderate and responsible drinking is the only reliable way to avoid death from alcohol poisoning.