Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice
Ed. by Wawrzynski, Matthew R.
- Most Downloaded Articles
Most Downloaded Articles
- NASPA Journal Volume 46, Issue 4
- The Mental Health Needs of Today's College Students: Challenges and Recommendations by Kitzrow, Martha Anne
- Do Fraternities and Sororities Enhance Socially Responsible Leadership? by Martin, Georgianna L./ Hevel, Michael S. and Pascarella, Ernest T.
- U.S. Military Veterans Transition to College: Combat, PTSD, and Alienation on Campus by Elliott, Marta/ Gonzalez, Carlene and Larsen, Barbara
- Do Fraternities and Sororities Still Enhance Socially Responsible Leadership? Evidence From the Fourth Year of College by Hevel, Michael S./ Martin, Georgianna L. and Pascarella, Ernest T.
- Sorority Women’s and Fraternity Men’s Rape Myth Acceptance and Bystander Intervention Attitudes by Bannon, R. Sean/ Brosi, Matthew W. and Foubert, John D.
- Student Service Members/Veterans in Higher Education: A Systematic Review by Barry, Adam E./ Whiteman, Shawn D. and MacDermid Wadsworth, Shelley
- The Relationship Between Engagement in Cocurricular Activities and Academic Performance: Exploring Gender Differences by Zacherman, Avi and Foubert, John
- Fraternities and Sororities Shaping the Campus Climate of Personal and Social Responsibility by Barnhardt, Cassie L.
- Showing the Love: Predictors of Student Loyalty to Undergraduate Institutions by Vianden, Jörg and Barlow, Patrick J.
- NASPA Journal Volume 45, Issue 1
- The Role of Social Perspective-Taking in Developing Students’ Leadership Capacities by Dugan, John P./ Bohle, Christopher W./ Woelker, Lindsey R. and Cooney, Matthew A.
- Living Learning Communities and Students’ Sense of Community and Belonging by Spanierman, Lisa B./ Soble, Jason R./ Mayfield, Jennifer B./ Neville, Helen A./ Aber, Mark/ Khuri, Lydia and De La Rosa, Belinda
- NASPA Journal vol 43 no 1
- Exploring the Parental Role in First-Year Students’ Emotional Well-Being: Considerations by Gender by Sax, Linda J. and Weintraub, Dayna S.
- The Importance of College Roommate Relationships: A Review and Systemic Conceptualization by Erb, Sarah E./ Renshaw, Keith D./ Short, Jerome L. and Pollard, Jeffrey W.
- Development of Professional Identity Through Socialization in Graduate School by Liddell, Debora L./ Wilson, Maureen E./ Pasquesi, Kira/ Hirschy, Amy S. and Boyle, Kathleen M.
- Understanding Intent to Leave the Field: A Study of Student Affairs Master’s Students’ Career Plans by Silver, Blake R. and Jakeman, Rick C.
- Campus Microclimates for LGBT Faculty, Staff, and Students: An Exploration of the Intersections of Social Identity and Campus Roles by Vaccaro, Annemarie
- Coming Home: Student Veterans' Articulation of College Re-enrollment by Livingston, Wade G./ Havice, Pamela A./ Cawthon, Tony W. and Fleming, David S.
Volume 51 (2014)
Volume 50 (2013)
Volume 49 (2012)
Volume 48 (2011)
Volume 47 (2010)
Volume 46 (2009)
Volume 45 (2008)
Volume 44 (2008)
Volume 43 (2006)
Volume 42 (2005)
Volume 41 (2004)
Volume 40 (2003)
Volume 39 (2002)
Volume 38 (2001)
Volume 37 (2000)
Volume 36 (1999)
Volume 35 (1998)
- The Role of Social Perspective-Taking in Developing Students’ Leadership Capacities
- Showing the Love: Predictors of Student Loyalty to Undergraduate Institutions
- Student Service Members/Veterans in Higher Education: A Systematic Review
- The Importance of College Roommate Relationships: A Review and Systemic Conceptualization
- Which Box(es) Do I Check? Investigating College Students’ Meanings Behind Racial Identification
- Development of Professional Identity Through Socialization in Graduate School
- Building Bridges: Using the Office Consultation Project to Connect Students to Theory and Practice
- Media Review: Intersections of Religious Privilege: Difficult Dialogues and Student Affairs Practice
- Media Review: Working-Class Minority Students' Routes to Higher Education
- Media Review: Breaking Through the Access Barrier: How Academic Capital Formation Can Improve Policy in Higher Education
- Media Review: Transformative Learning Through Engagement: Student Affairs Practice as Experiential Pedagogy
- Media Review: Decisions Matter: Using a Decision-Making Framework With Contemporary Student Affairs Case Studies
The Importance of College Roommate Relationships: A Review and Systemic Conceptualization
1George Mason University
Citation Information: Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice. Volume 51, Issue 1, Pages 43–55, ISSN (Online) 1949-6605, ISSN (Print) 1949-6591, DOI: 10.1515/jsarp-2014-0004, January 2014
- Published Online:
This article reviews empirical studies of the role of college roommate relationships in students’ mental health and college adjustment. We propose a systemic conceptualization of roommate relationships that highlights roommates’ interdependence and origins of roommate relationship dynamics. We discuss practice implications for student affairs professionals, provide a case example, and offer recommendations for future research.