Jump to ContentJump to Main Navigation
Show Summary Details
More options …

Linguistic Typology

Founded by Plank, Frans

Editor-in-Chief: Koptjevskaja-Tamm, Maria


IMPACT FACTOR 2016: 0.304

CiteScore 2017: 0.45

SCImago Journal Rank (SJR) 2017: 0.285
Source Normalized Impact per Paper (SNIP) 2017: 0.810

Online
ISSN
1613-415X
See all formats and pricing
More options …
Volume 11, Issue 1

Issues

Chinese linguistics and typology: The state of the art

Hilary Chappell
  • Corresponding author
  • Centre de Recherches Linguistiques sur l'Asie Orientale, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales and Centre National de le Recherche Scientifique.
  • Email
  • Other articles by this author:
  • De Gruyter OnlineGoogle Scholar
/ Li Ming / Alain Peyraube
  • Corresponding author
  • Centre de Recherches Linguistiques sur l'Asie Orientale, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales and Centre National de le Recherche Scientifique.
  • Email
  • Other articles by this author:
  • De Gruyter OnlineGoogle Scholar
Published Online: 2007-07-31 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/LINGTY.2007.014

Abstract

1. Introduction

China possesses rich linguistic resources which remain relatively untapped: the ten main Sinitic languages or dialect groups account for roughly 93% of the population (Mandarin, Jin, Xiang, Gan, Hui, Wu, Min, Kejia, Yue, and Pinghua); the remaining 7% comprise the many different “minority” languages in long term contact with Sinitic such as Tibeto-Burman, Mongolian, Hmong, and Tai. In an almost unprecedented state of affairs, written records for Chinese extend without a break 3,000 years into the past, furnishing a rich documentation for any kind of historical study.

About the article

1Correspondence address:Centre de Recherches Linguistiques sur l'Asie Orientale, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS-CNRS), 54 Bd Raspail, 75270 Paris Cédex 06, France

2Correspondence address:Institute of Linguistics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, 5, Jiannei Dajie, 100732, Beijing, China

3Correspondence address:Centre de Recherches Linguistiques sur l'Asie Orientale, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS-CNRS), 54 Bd Raspail, 75270 Paris Cédex 06, France


Received: 2007-03-07

Published Online: 2007-07-31

Published in Print: 2007-07-20


Citation Information: Linguistic Typology, Volume 11, Issue 1, Pages 187–211, ISSN (Online) 1613-415X, ISSN (Print) 1430-0532, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/LINGTY.2007.014.

Export Citation

Citing Articles

Here you can find all Crossref-listed publications in which this article is cited. If you would like to receive automatic email messages as soon as this article is cited in other publications, simply activate the “Citation Alert” on the top of this page.

[1]
Ziyin Mai, Chung-yin Kwan, and Virginia Yip
International Journal of Bilingualism, 2016, Page 136700691668108
[3]
Studies in Language, 2016, Volume 39, Number 4, Page 836

Comments (0)

Please log in or register to comment.
Log in