1 Issue per year
Packaging Research is a peer-reviewed journal that publishes original, high-quality research on topics broadly related to packaging science. The objective is to offer a journal adapted to the diversity of scientific disciplines and questions that may be addressed within the variety of packaging roles. The aim is also to encourage the extension of knowledge frontier by publishing cross-disciplinary and global approaches, which are required to cover the ever growing environmental, safety, technical and socio-economic challenges of packaging. The journal publishes original papers, reviews and short notes from a broad range of topics and approaches, as long as they contribute in a broad sense to the core theme.
Scope of the journal covers, but is not limited to:
- Packaging constituents' elaboration: bio-sourced and wastes-sourced molecules, polymers, bio-polymers, fibres, metal, glass, additives, inks and adhesives, associated process (chemistry, biotechnology etc.) and characterization.
- Packaging engineering, structuration (solvent or thermo-processing), composites, blends, multilayers, nano- and micro- structuring, foaming/expansion, surface treatments (e.g. CCVD, corona, plasma), multilayers, resins.
- Functional properties and related applications: foods, medical, pharmaceutical, cosmetics and all consumables and goods requiring a protection and communication
- Multi-scales structure/properties (mechanicals, optical, transfers etc.) relationships and modelling, plasticization, interphase characterisation, physical-chemical stability, ageing
- Breakthrough structures and properties: ICT, intelligent (RFID labels, freshness indicators etc.), active (absorbing, releasing), nanotechnologies (spherical, elongated, platelets nanoparticles), nano-composites (blends or multilayers) etc.
- Modelling: molecular modelling, meso-modelling, process engineering, knowledge engineering, Retro-engineering, decision support tools.
- Safety (migration, interactions) and stability (during usage), identification of by-products, degradation products
- Toxicology: bioassays, toxicity studies, evaluation of substances (such as NIAS)
- Consumer and others stakeholders' aspects: communication, perception, design, convenience, logistic issues etc.
- Environmental impact: sustainability, Life cycle analysis, recycling, incineration, biodegradability, food wastes reduction
- Regulatory aspects: safety, wastes management, communication, labelling etc. issues
- Socio-economic aspects: economic, judgements and decision making experiments, surveys, case-study, simulations etc.
Aims and Scope
Why subscribe and read
For readers the journal on Packaging Research will position itself as the central and most authoritative publication devoted, for the first time, to packaging research on cross-disciplinary and global approaches, which are required to cover the ever growing environmental, safety and economic challenges of packaging. The journal is able to ensure high quality papers and to take in charge the diversity of scientific disciplines and questions that may be addressed within the variety of packaging roles.
The journal's scope will offer you, at a glance, a wealth of information covering all research related to packaging, including biological, physical-chemical, mathematical and emerging pluri/multi disciplinary science, breakthrough cross/trans disciplinary and integrated approach, modeling science and decision support tools.
Packaging Research will attract authors by fast and comprehensive peer-review. With an Editorial Board composed of experts covering all areas of the field, Packaging Research will provide authors with an open-access journal for the rapid publication of their original research reports and review articles related to the diversity of scientific disciplines and questions covering the ever growing environmental, safety and economic challenges of packaging and the variety of packaging roles. Moreover, during the first two years of publication, open access publication fees are to be waived for all authors.
Interested in food packaging? Interested in risk assessment, NIAS, TTC in safety assessment of food packaging materials? Interested in renewable and recycling food contact materials, safety-by-design, innovations in packaging and emerging technologies?
Submit a poster abstract before 31st July – see more details HERE
Brought to you by renowned experts in the field, this three-day conference in Barcelona, Spain, 16-18 November 2016 will spark discussions on the key issues and challenges in food packaging today. Topics covered will include progress in risk assessment, NIAS, sustainability, innovation & food waste, TTC, bioassays and packaging safety assessment, safety-by-design, new approaches for active and intelligent packaging, future challenges and more. For the full programme, click HERE
- DE GRUYTER OPEN
- Emerging Science
- Type of Publication:
Submission of Manuscripts
Instructions for Authors
Manuscripts should be submitted to the journal via e-mail at email@example.com
Manuscript submitted to this journal should:
- contain original work - not published elsewhere in any medium (in the whole or in part) by the authors or anyone else and not under consideration for publication in any other medium;
- focus on the aims and scope of the journal;
- be clearly and correctly written - should contain all essential features of a scientific publication that is easy to understand for the target audience;
- written in English - attention to detail of the language will avoid severe misunderstandings which might lead to rejection of the paper;
- be delivered in electronic format.
The journal accepts the following publication formats:
- Research Articles
- Communications and Rapid Communications
- Reviews and Mini-Reviews
- Vision Papers
- Letters to the Editor and Amendments
It is important that authors include a cover letter with their manuscript. Please explain why you consider your manuscript as suitable for publication in the journal, why will your paper inspire the other members of your field, and how will it drive research forward.
The letter should contain all important details such as:
- your full name (submitted by)
- full title of article and short title
- full list of authors with affiliations
- e-mail of the corresponding author
- contact address, telephone/fax numbers of the corresponding author
- number of attached files, if there is more than one
- status: new, reviewed or accepted (with reference ID if reviewed or accepted)
Cover letter should explicitly state that the manuscript (or one with substantially the same content, by any of the authors) has not been previously published in any language anywhere and that it is not under simultaneous consideration or in press by another journal. If related work has been submitted, then we may require a preprint to be made available. Reviewers will be asked to comment on the overlap between the related submissions.
Manuscripts that have been previously rejected, or withdrawn after being returned for modification, may be resubmitted if the major criticisms have been addressed. The cover letter must state that the manuscript is a resubmission, and the former manuscript number should be provided.
Conflict of interest declaration
To ensure fair and objective decision-making, authors must declare any associations that pose a conflict of interest in connection with evaluated manuscripts (see Editorial Policy for details). Authors are encouraged to fill in the ICMJE Conflicts of Interest Form (available here) and send it in the electronic format to the Journal Editor.
Open Access License
Authors have to sign an Open Access License that is available on the journal webpage. We encourage the authors to send the signed license along with the manuscript. Please note, that no article will be published unless the Open Access License is signed.
Our contributors are asked to make sure their submissions comply with rules governing the formatting. Although the journal can provide limited technical support, it is ultimately the responsibility of the author to deliver a properly formatted electronic version of the article.
We accept submission of text, tables and figures as separate files or as a composite file. For your initial submission, we recommend you upload your entire manuscript, including tables and figures, as a single PDF file. If you are invited to submit a revised manuscript, please provide us with individual files: an editable text and publication-quality figures.
- Text files can be submitted in the following formats: TeX/LaTeX (recommended), MS Word - standard DOCUMENT (.DOC) or RICH TEXT FORMAT (.RTF); PDF (not applicable for re-submitted or accepted manuscripts, see below)
- Tables should be submitted as MS Word or PDF (not applicable for re-submitted or accepted manuscripts, see below). Please note that a straight Excel file is not an acceptable format
- Graphics files can be submitted in any of the following graphic formats: EPS; BMP; JPG; TIFF; GIF or PDF. Please note that Powerpoint files are not accepted
Post acceptance, text files of the revised manuscript and tables are required for use in the production.
Post acceptance, text files of the revised manuscript and tables are required for use in the production. Authors are encouraged to use De Gruyter Open LaTeX template file.
Authors should clearly indicate location of tables and figures in the text if these elements are given separately or at the end of the manuscript. If this information is not provided to the editorial office, we will assume that they should be left at the end of the text.
For further instructions, please carefully follow the guidelines described in Instructions for Authors.
Abstracting & Indexing
Packaging Research is covered by the following services:
- Baidu Scholar
- CNKI Scholar (China National Knowledge Infrastructure)
- EBSCO (relevant databases)
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- Genamics JournalSeek
- Google Scholar
- KESLI-NDSL (Korean National Discovery for Science Leaders)
- Naviga (Softweco)
- Polymer Library
- Summon (Serials Solutions/ProQuest)
- Ulrich's Periodicals Directory/ulrichsweb
- WanFang Data
- WorldCat (OCLC)
Nathalie Gontard, Joint Research Unit Agro-polymers Engineering and Emerging Technologies, France
Editorial Advisory Board
Marie Hél?ne Bani, Danone, France
Philippe Dubois, University of Mons - UMONS, Belgium
Alain Dufresne, Grenoble Institute of Technology, France
Ferruccio Doghieri, University of Bologna, Italy
Eliane Espuche, Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, France
Rafael Gavara, IATA-CSIC, Spain
Mikael Gällstedt, Innventia - Packaging Solutions, Sweden
Valérie Guillard, University of Montpellier II and SupAgro, France
Mikael Hedenqvist, KTH - Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
Luis Madi, ITAL, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hyun Jin Park, Korean Academy of Science and Technology, Korea University
Luciano Piergiovanni, University of Milan, Italy
Maria de Fátima Poças, Catholic University of Portugal, Portugal
Ulf Sonesson, SIK - The Swedish Institute for Food and Biotechnology, Sweden
Sabu Thomas, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, India
DE GRUYTER OPEN
Bogumiła Zuga 32A Str.
01-811 Warsaw, Poland
T: +48 22 701 50 15
Prof. Nathalie Gontard, Editor-in-Chief