The aim is to present a document, which is based on current evidence and serves as a guideline for use in clinical practice. The following questions are addressed:
• Is the use of antenatal corticosteroids (ACS) an effective therapy?
• Who are the candidates for antenatal corticosteroid therapy?
• Is there benefit after 34 weeks' gestation?
• When is the optimal time to treat?
• Which are the optimal steroids; what is the ideal dose and route of administration?
• Are there any contraindications to the administration of ACS?
• Are antenatal corticosteroids indicated in women with premature rupture of membranes (PROM)?
• Is the use of ACS recommended in pregnancies complicated by maternal diabetes mellitus?
• Should the treatment with corticosteroids be repeated?