Development of the Italian autostrada network has proved a boon to archaeology comparable to that conferred earlier by railroad construction. It was railroad construction that uncovered, to cite but one dramatic example, the Gallo-Roman necropolis at Ornavasso in 1890. Perhaps the most outstanding of all finds occasioned by autostrada construction appeared in 1966: an inscription on a dressed piece of stone in an alphabet generally assumed to be that of the Lugano tradition. The inscription, now datable on epigraphic and archaeological grounds to about 480–450 BC, was found southwest of the Lombard town of Como at a site near Prestino known as fondo Giulini (see Fig. 1). It is preserved in Como where it is on permanent display in its own room at il Museo Civico Archeologico “Paolo Giovio” (Inv. No. 8777). The site is clearly within the archaeological Golasecca II B-III A 1–2 horizons, generally thought to extend from about 525 until about 410 BC.
Zeitschrift für celtische Philologie (ZcP) was founded in 1897 by Kuno Meyer and Ludwig Christian Stern. It is thus the oldest significant journal of Celtic studies still in existence. In the early period, its focus was on Celtic (mainly Irish) philology and ‘linguistic monuments’ to Continental Celtic (mainly Gaulish) languages. Later, these areas were extended to include new Celtic languages and typological questions.