Handbuch Geschichte der Sklaverei
Eine Globalgeschichte von den Anfängen bis zur Gegenwart
[Handbook of the History of Slavery]
- A reference work on all forms and types of slavery from 12,000 BC to the present day
- The local context of each form of slavery is analyzed – with particular attention devoted to the names given to slavery
- The first general history of slavery in the broader sense
Aims and Scope
This handbook is the first publication to systematically present the history of slavery in the context of global history. The point of departure is an understanding of slavery as the capitalization of the human body. The most diverse types of slavery are analyzed – on all continents, under its respective names and in its historical context. This broad empirical basis leads to a history of slavery beginning around 10,000 BC and continuing to the present day.
- xiv, 725 pages
- Type of Publication:
- Reference Work
- Global History; Handbook; Human Trafficking; Slavery
- Academics, Libraries, Institutes, Institutions Concerned with Human Rights
MARC recordMARC record for eBook
"The comprehensive portrayal presented here will point biblical scholars to aspects hitherto missed or neglected in their
texts and to place the biblical references in the larger phenomenon of global slavery in historical perspective."
Christoph Stenschke in: OTE 29/3 (2016)
"[...] setzt das Werk in der deutschsprachigen Geschichtsschreibung, die im Bereich der Sklavereiforschung eher schwach auf der Brust ist, einen wichtigen Akzent."
Andreas Eckert in: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung 31. August 2013