31. Ausgabe (Deutsche Benutzeroberfläche) /
The Artists of the World. International Database of Artists. CD-ROM
Aims and Scope
CD-ROM with English User Interface see ISBN 978-3-598-40976-9
This CD-ROM edition is the biographical reference tool for the visual arts of all genres, ages and countries. It allows to make extensive searches through the prominent biographical standard works on art history. Numerous search criteria lead easily and comfortably to information on painters, graphic artists, sculptors, architects, photographers and artisans.
The current CD-ROM edition contains far more than 1 million documents:
- biographical profiles of artists registered in the 37 volumes of the Thieme-Becker and the 6 volumes of the Vollmer,
- complete articles from the volumes of the Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon (AKL) published so far, including the supplementary volumes of the AKL, the Künstlerlexikon der Antike [Dictionary of the Classical World], and the addenda, which are only available in electronic form,
- short biographies from the editorial database of the AKL, not published in the print edition,
- biographical profiles from the Bio-Bibliographical Index A-Z (first edition) for the letters G - Z, not yet covered by AKL.
The entries provide basic information on various name forms, artistic and non-artistic activities as well as the artist's life dates and places. There is also reference to the article in the relevant source work.
A wealth of detailed knowledge is available in the published articles of the AKL as well as in the entries from the Künstlerlexikon der Antike: The artist's life dates and cultural surroundings, characteristics of the artist's work and creativity, works and their locations, exhibitions, autobiographical and other writings by the artist, as well as extensive bibliographical details. About 500 documents provide information on the titles used in the entries for the professions.
Each update is enlarged by the articles from the last published volumes of AKL, the unpublished entries on artists and the addenda for the relevant letters.
- DE GRUYTER SAUR
- Type of Publication:
- Reference Work
- Art History Institutions, Museums, Libraries, Art and Antique Trade, Auction houses, Collectors, Art dealers, Curators