Modern style in Vienna's historic center
Josef Plecnik Zacherlhaus / The Zacherl House by Jože Plecnik
Geschichte und Architektur eines Wiener Stadthauses / The History and Architecture of a Viennese Townhouse
Ed. by Zacherl, Nikolaus / Zacherl, Ulrich / Zacherl, Peter
With contrib. by Podrecca, Boris / Prelovsek, Damjan / Vybiral, Jindrich / Moravanszky, Akos / Frampton, Kenneth / Leeb, Franziska
UK Trade Customers- order print books via Marston Book Services trade.orders@Marston.co.uk
UK Individual Customers firstname.lastname@example.org
- Model of a listed historic building renovated to full functionality
- Essays by Boris Podrecca, Ákos Moravánszky and Kenneth Frampton (and many others)
- Historic and current photographs and drawings of the building and conversion
Aims and Scope
The Zacherlhaus is located in the heart of Vienna, just 180 meters from St. Stephen's Cathedral, and is one of the most important buildings created by the Otto Wagner School. It was built in the years from 1900 to 1913 and designed for its owner Johann Zacherl by Joesef Plecnik, who later taught at the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague and from 1925 worked on the urban renewal of Ljubljana. It was the first combined residential and commercial building of modern style in the historic inner city and is one of the best known buildings in Vienna.
This generously illustrated, authentic publication documents the building and its thorough renovation, which will be completed in 2015; it includes contributions by experts on European architecture of the 20th century.
Jonas Brun in: www.rezensionen.ch