Commentaria in Aristotelem Graeca et Byzantina
Ed. by Harlfinger, Dieter / Rapp, Christof / Rashed, Marwan / Reinsch, Diether R.
Aims and Scope
The series Commentaria in Aristotelem Graeca et Byzantina (CAGB) presents editions of commentaries and other Greek texts on the transmission and the reception of Aristotle in the ancient world and medieval Byzantium until the Renaissance. This fundamental work is intended to promote the study of the heritage and the subsequent development of peripatetic philosophy, and thus to provide a significant contribution to contemporary scholarship on Byzantine philosophy.
The thematic and scholarly content of the new series complements and follows the tradition of the Commentaria in Aristotelem Graeca (1882-1909), founded by Hermann Diels. The programme is planned to include texts by Alexander of Aphrodisias, Simplikios, Johannes Philoponos, Michael of Ephesus, Nikephoros Blemmydes, Theodoros Metochites, Georgios Scholarios and Bessarion. The volumes consist of a praefatio on the textual tradition, the text with apparatus criticus, and normally a translation in a modern language. Other sections and aids are included depending on the nature of the texts (commentary, paraphrase, compilation, scholia, etc.) and how well they have survived. The edition of these works, which were often written as working texts, is intended to reflect the historical state of the language according to modern philological standards.
Besides a complete catalogue of manuscripts and a prosopographical compendium on the reception of Aristotle in Byzantium, the volumes of the CABC are also intended to facilitate exegetic access, in particular to important new discoveries and fragments of lost ancient texts.
- Byzantine Commentaries on Aristotle's Rhetoric (2019)
- Der paraphrastische Kommentar des Theodoros Metochites zu Aristoteles’ "De generatione et corruptione" (2020)
- Vol. 7: Aristotle and His Commentators (2019) Ed. by Golitsis, Pantelis / Ierodiakonou, Katerina
- Vol. 6: Proklos, "Tria opuscula" (2014)
- Vol. 5: Forms and Concepts (2012)
- Vol. 4: Commentary and Tradition (2010) Ed. by Bonazzi, Mauro
- Vol. 3: Les Commentaires de Simplicius et de Jean Philopon à la "Physique" d'Aristote (2008)
- Vol. 2: Essentialisme (2007)
- Vol. 1: Alexandre d'Aphrodise, Commentaire perdu à la "Physique" d'Aristote (Livres IV-VIII) (2011)